I’m not the type of person that hates change; I welcome it
with slightly open arms. I’m more apathetic to it than anything, which can be
seen as good or bad. Sometimes it’s not apathy that gets the best of me, it’s my
ignorance. On occasion, I don’t even notice when things change. It’s probably
because I don’t watch the news enough. I wish I could give you some examples,
but I can’t. Mainly because I’m so apathetic toward them, that I forget they’ve
changed.
The one exception to this rule is when my friends change.
It’s funny that this bothers me, since people are constantly growing and thus
constantly changing. It used to break my heart; such as,
“Oh (Insert Name Here) and I don’t hang out anymore, that must mean she didn’t agree with my stance on shaving.”
or “(Other Name Here) and I just don’t talk like we used to, he must have seen my hidden collections of poems about him.”
or Some other equally ridiculous assumption about one of my weird qualities that might be viewed as a turn off to people who don’t know me.
“Oh (Insert Name Here) and I don’t hang out anymore, that must mean she didn’t agree with my stance on shaving.”
or “(Other Name Here) and I just don’t talk like we used to, he must have seen my hidden collections of poems about him.”
or Some other equally ridiculous assumption about one of my weird qualities that might be viewed as a turn off to people who don’t know me.
I would look at people changing as a sign of something I did
wrong. Luckily, I’m still young, but old enough to know that it’s not my fault,
and I should be happy for people changing. It shows that they are growing as a
person and are developing into a mature version of their former self. But
sometimes not. Sometimes they devolve and become even more stupid. Just when
you think it’s not humanly possible for someone to get worse, they do. And as
harsh as it is, I hope that they don’t infect our population.
But back to my main point, in order for people to grow,
sometimes they have to change their environment. This is something I have
trouble with. I’ll be like a nagging shadow trying to convince people that our
hometown isn’t a terrible place. And usually the musical hipsters will
disagree; but they’re pretentious and I don’t care about their opinions. When
it comes to my friends needing to leave, I get worked up and emotional. When my
best friend, Maggie, left for college 5 hours away, I think I cried for a week
straight. Luckily she’s back, and Maggie, if you’re reading this remember this:
If you move to California like you say you will in the future, I will cut off
your hair and drain your bank account!!! Sadly, this is an empty promise, and
she knows it. And if she didn’t, well she knows now.
So this brings me to why I felt the need to post about
change. I’ve had friends that I have known since kindergarten and such, but we
weren’t constantly friends over the years. When I say that my best friend,
Stephanie, has been my best friend since 4th grade, I mean it. We
both had boy issues for a few years and even through that mess we remained
friends (to anyone out there that is threatening a great friendship for a guy,
DON’T DO IT. You will regret it because you will most likely lose all your
friends and be mad all the time and when you break up, because, trust me, you
will break up, you won’t have the friends you need).
So ever since I have known Stephanie, she’s always wanted to
go to Seattle for college. Well, it didn’t work out. So when I found out she
was going to a local community college, I was happy we were going to remain in
the same city. Recently, she has decided to expand her education to Lubbock,
Texas, and I couldn’t be more proud. She’s going for herself, and not for
stupid reasons that some people move away. She isn’t going for a guy, or to get
back at parents or anything like that. While it breaks my heart that we are
going to be living in different cities for the first time in the entirety of
our 11 year friendship, it also doesn’t bother me.
I welcome change, well, sort of. Maybe I can use the excuse
of one less friend in the city to make more? Whatever happens, I know will work
out. And Stephanie, if you ever feel the need to come back and never leave
again, I’d be cool with that too.
(And just to embarrass her)
(Circa 5th grade, look how adorable we are)
(Us on New Year's Eve, Stephanie, that's water in your hand, right?)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.