4/9/13

This is why I love my shows


TV shows are a very lovely thing. They thrust you into a world of make-believe or real life experiences. They build a trust in you so great that you love the little things that make no sense to the casual watcher (such as a t-shirt or a line that was said maybe three times). You become so addicted and so hungry for the next installment that you build profiles online and talk passionately to other viewers about what you think will happen. The true TV show fanatic is taken for a roller coaster in which you place all of yourself into that scenario for 20-45 minutes. And in return you’re given, hopefully, a beautiful story that begins and ends nicely with no snags along the way.

As I write today, I am reminded at how much of a mushy-gushy fan of TV I am. It seems silly because most shows on television suck. But then every once and awhile a pristine new show prances about capturing the hearts of everyone. I don’t personally watch anything on AMC but I’m beginning to think I should. That’s where I got the idea for this post. I have noticed that lately everyone goes bananas for The Walking Dead. I’ve noticed how people gush on Facebook about some girl dying and how it was expected but kind of sad. And see, to me, it’s “some girl.” But to the masses of people who genuinely love this show, it wasn’t just some girl. It was a girl who had meaning and it will definitely change the dynamic of the show.

I have a major project presentation coming up on Wednesday and I chose to present on the evolution of the sitcom from 1990s to today. It’s funny how little scholarly sources you (don’t) find when looking for information. Not everyone views TV shows as reverently as I do. Some time ago I wrote about why I can’t watch TV anymore (click here). I can’t seem to shake it though. I crave new shows. And I didn’t think I watched a lot of programs until it was pointed out to me. As for my first paragraph of this post, yes it applies to even sitcoms.

So what do I want you to take away from this? I understand even the dumbest of reality television has it’s place; but please give episodic series a chance if you don’t already. Too many decent shows are dying while stereotype-filled shows that place a stigma on society live on. Do we really need another show where there’s a man who sleeps with a million girls just to do it and has no character growth? The answer, my amigos, is no, we do not. So let’s all vow to love one another, yadda yadda yadda, and especially, truly love what we are watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.