If you’re a frequenter of my blog, then you know that I gave
up all social media minus the blog for lent. Needless to say, my readership
went way down because I wasn’t barraging everyone asking them to read every
week. I did still have some faithful readers, however, and those people carried
me during my Lenten period. Much like Jesus in the desert, I, too, felt weak
and alone without the comforting arms of Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and
Instagram.
The first few days were tough. It was hard to not whip out
my phone and get on everything in an uncomfortable situation. Imagine, I
actually had to talk to people before class. And I found myself getting super
irritated at my friends when we would hang out and they would check their
phones every five minutes. If you’re laughing thinking, “that’s totally not
me,” trust me, it is you. They probably didn’t even realize they did it because
it’s so instinctual. But I kept whining to myself “HANG OUT WITH ME! TALK TO ME!” but I know I’ve
done it in the past and will probably do it sometime in the future so I can't be too mad.
But seriously, I was able to enjoy little things when
sitting outside before class or riding in the car or at a friend’s house. It
was easy after the first few days but then it got super hard the last few days
as I waited ever so impatiently. I’m not saying what I did was heroic because
truth be told I hardly feel like I did the true Catholic Lent (honestly it was
more of a social experiment), but I did gauge how much I rely on social media.
And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I missed tweeting
and posting about a lot of major events because I chose to give it up. So while
it was nice interacting with people face to face, I also think it’s important
to interact via any means possible. Plus I spent the first few weeks trying to
cope without having something to do with my spare time by spending a lot of
money online shopping. And that’s not any better.
At the end of the day I am happy that I was able to last
40-something days without it but I would never ever ever do it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.