5/14/13

This is why I love my friends


Okay so I know I wrote about being materialistic a few weeks ago but I cannot convey how happy I am to have my friends in my life. I am going to try and not make this sappy but it fills me with so much joy to know that there are lovely people in my life who accept me for all I am and all I fail to be. This past semester was so rough. It just seemed like one thing after another. And the thing that separates people I randomly say hi to from the people I can count on and call my friends are the people that don’t get freaked out when I say I had a rough time.

It sounds silly and like no big deal but we live in a world where “How are you?” “I’m good/ fine/ some word that describes just being okay and a little less than content,” is expected of us. If we say “not so good,” people freak out and wonder why we are unleashing so much emotion on them when in reality it’s just expressing how we truly feel. Now that’s not to say people should just word vomit on random strangers but we should be comfortable with expressing if something isn’t okay. And that’s how I know when I have a good friend: if they are okay with letting me not be okay.

That’s also not to say that people who don’t let me be not okay aren’t looking out for me. I don’t blame people for trying to fix me or fix the problem with a rough semester. The majority of people ask  “How’s your semester” and if I respond with “Kinda rough” they will either ask “What’s wrong” or “School-wise, right?” If they do the former than I know they really care. If they do the latter then I know to let it go. Sometimes people just aren’t okay with letting people be less than fine. But I also don’t judge if people just want more for me. Sorry if that’s hard to follow. It’s kind of complicated.

However, the people in my life who have stuck with me through it all are so very dear to me. They love me in spite of my weird blog posts that rant or are confusing. They love me even though there are things I hate about myself. And most importantly, they love me when I need it the most. I’d like to think that I love them in return. I guess I just realized how blessed I truly am to have the friends I do. And I just hope everyone out there can feel the same way about the people they surround themselves with; otherwise it may be time to find a new circle of friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.